Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thank You Ryder Hesjedal

When Ryder Hesjedal won the Giro D’Italia this past weekend, Canada celebrated quietly. Many of us have been watching with interest as this amazing athlete paid his dues in years past.
  As Ryder’s name becomes known the world over, I couldn’t help but think of other Canadians who have excelled in their chosen field. In no particular order, here are some reminders:

Lorne Michaels. Creator and Producer of Saturday Night Live. Maybe the best talent scout ever? Just sayin’.

Frederick Banting and Charles Best. Co-discoverers of insulin. Thank you, gentlemen.

Peter Jennings. I started watching Peter after Walker Cronkite retired. I liked his way of speaking, his grasp of world situations, and of course he was easy to look at. I miss you, Peter.

Raymond Burr. There’s a reason they’ve never tried to revive Perry Mason. Who but Raymond Burr could do  justice to the role?

David Foster. The man is good. Not only is he talented, he gives back. This past weekend in Victoria, where he got his start, the David Foster Foundation Miracle Weekend raised $4.6 million. That’s some serious coin. There were too many ‘famous’ people there to name, but they came to support David. Well done, everyone.

James Cameron. He’s been at it a long time. Does anyone doubt that Avatar II will be better than the original?

Oscar Peterson. We don’t talk about Oscar Peterson enough. I don’t know a lot about jazz, but I know genius when I hear it.

Mordecai Richler. I first read Mordecai Richler when I was just a kid...The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. I loved it then and I still love it. Mordecai lived life on his own terms and I respect him for that.

Leonard Cohen. In a class by himself.

Group of Seven.  Thankfully, many of their works remain in Canada.


I could go on, but you get the idea.
Thank you, Ryder Hesjedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment