Thursday, July 5, 2012

How Do You Find Inspiration?

 I was a normal teenager. There were no iTunes then, but we were glued to the radio listening to the latest songs. My friend Carole loved country music. I didn’t quite get it. Hank Williams, Charlie Pride and the rest of them didn’t appeal to me. 


  Back then they either didn’t know their tractor was sexy or they were too embarrassed to sing about it, but that’s another story.

 I’ve always liked to read; an eclectic assortment, if memory serves. So it surprises me that I didn’t realize that some great love stories were told in those songs.  Nowadays when I hear country on the car radio I listen. I listen for those gems of phrasing, those ideas that inspire me to write new stories, or take an existing one to a new level.


 Oh...and the current crop of singers aren’t hard to look at, either. Now that's inspiration!





1 comment:

  1. I *love* finding gorgeous turns of phrase in songs, though my musical tastes are vastly different from yours. Some of my favorites are Jon McLaughlin, This Providence, and the occasional Irving Berlin.

    ReplyDelete